Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Hana-bi (1997)


Most people will refer to Hana-bi as a boring film and I understand where they're coming from, but I felt this was more a relaxing film than a boring one. The visual qualities of the cinematography and Joe Hisaishi's great score allows for a calm, soothing experience like drinking a fine cup of tea. Beat Takashi's performance is also one of praise as he gives a subtle, nuanced performance and very different from the last role I saw him give in Battle Royale. He reminded me quite a bit like Marcello
Mastroanni. In fact, I would not be surprised if he was inspired by Fellini's 8 1/2, as the influence is certainly there. There were many times when I felt the film could have certainly hurried up, but I was still quite a bit impressed with the film.

2 comments:

Burnzy said...

w00t!

Karl Hungus said...

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could think of the film as boring, there is so much happening in the film, in all scenes, even if they are slower and medatative, there is always something very important going on.

It's one of the most captivating films I've ever seen in my life.

Thank you for reading!

Thank you for reading!
An image from 2001: A Space Odyssey